We offer the biggest selection of backpacks in the Midlands, and there are few shops in the UK who can rival our range of fit and frame size options, from x-small women's to 6XL men's. We have specialist staff who can guild you through the fitting process to find the very best pack for you and your activity.
People come in lots of shapes and sizes, and we pick our range of backpacks accordingly, not just offering a range of different carrying capacities and design features, but also different harness sizes for different shapes and sizes of people. If a backpack fits you properly, it will be significantly more comfortable to carry.
Our backpack range
We offer backpacks for most kinds of outdoor sports use, including day hiking, hut-to-hut walking tours, rock climbing, mountaineering, ski-touring, travelling, trekking holidays, backpacking, D-of-E expeditions, trail running, challenge events, or simply commuting to work.
- US backpack specialist Mystery Ranch have a formidable reputation for build quality and load carrying comfort, developed over two decades working with military and other professional users. Their hiking packs offer two unique yoke designs, and multiple sizes of men's and women's harnesses.
- We are a Deuter Fit Center, and offer backpacks in a choice of three different harness sizes: standard, SL (for women or short/slim build) and XL (extra long back).
- Our Gregory backpacks are available in standard men's and women's fittings, as well as sized men's and women's options (the extra-small women's harness size works great for those who are particularly petite, and find standard women's backpacks way too tall).
- For 2023, we are very pleased to be able to offer Gregory Plus Size backpacks. These feature extended and repositioned shoulder straps to better fit plus size folks (2X to 6X). Some packs also feature extended hipbelts (up to 60 inch), and reposition hipbelt pockets.
- We offer Rab backpacks in up to three different harness sizes: standard, ND (for women), and long (extra long back).
Our backpack fitting process
We would always start by discussing what activity or use you need your backpack for: the amount and type of kit you need to carry, as well as the terrain and weather conditions you might encounter.
The important next step is to find a backpack which has the correct size frame for your height and build. Using a back measuring tool can help us with this part. Many of our packs are adjustable for torso size, and we will obviously adjust them as necessary for you.
We would always encourage you to try a backpack on with some weight in it, and walk around the store for 5-10 minutes. We have specially made weight bags for this purpose, as well as other suitably bulky and/or heavy items around the store. If you'd like to try a backpack on in our store with the kit you normally carry, you are of course very welcome to bring it in.
It is usually best to try a backpack on with light clothing, as you will be more aware of how the shoulder straps are sitting round your neck (for example), as well as making it easier to find all the adjustment buckles.
Rucksack fitting in our Leamington Spa store
We will often use a specialist back measuring device to help us find a suitable harness size for you.
A well designed pack will be suitably proportioned for the height of the wearer.
As well as having a pack that fits well, it is also important to have it adjusted properly.
Mystery Ranch use a unique frame element in the yoke of their adjustable packs. This greatly improves load transfer and comfort, but must be adjusted correctly.
A well designed women's backpack isn't just shorter in the back - it will also have a differently shaped hipbelt and shoulder straps.
Most of our hikers daypacks now have proper load-bearing hipbelts, allowing you to carry the load more comfortably on your hips, and saving strain on your neck, shoulders and back.
Some also feature suspended 'trampoline' style backpanels, which physically hold the pack away from your back, providing increased ventilation in hot weather or when working hard.
Some of our Gregory trekking packs offer adjustable padding on the hipbelts, helping ensure just the right amount of padding for your hip dimensions.
Gregory Plus Size packs are the industry's first line of plus-size backpacks, designed specifically for outdoor enthusiasts of diverse body sizes and shapes.
If you have any questions about our backpack fitting service, then please don't hesitate to contact our backpacking department on 01926 339388 (option 1).